Friday, September 27, 2013

More Work for My Mahogany

I cut my taff rail out of the remainder of my big chunk of mahogany this morning. Now the pieces get to collect dust until I have a deck to attach them to. But it is progress, and I am very pleased with how this part turned out.
The blocks were already cut and will be shaped when I reach that point in the construction process.
I went a little wider than called for in the plans and added the curve in the middle.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hands on a real one!

Recently, Barry Pyeatt very kindly gave me a tour of Spirit Wind. What fun! Barry provided me with a wealth of information, and I will share here some of the things I especially like about his boat that I plan to incorporate into mine.

The way he did his grab rails makes a lot of sense to me. Here are a couple more detail shots.

He sandwiched the hull side in 1x2s, leaving room for fingertips above the deck. I also like the added straps holding down the bowsprit. This is the aft one just to the left of the rail end. The other was a couple feet forward.


I like the slat seats design for at least two reasons--dryer when water finds its way into the cockpit, and a bit comfier on the backside. That, and the extra leg room.

"Place seat here." This is a view of the cabin bulkhead end on the starboard side.

Seat installed on the port side, viewing the aft end.

Aft end support on the starboard side.

Notice the lip on the front edge (left).

I plan to fully enclose both the lazarette and the seat backs, so I will probably build my seats like this:



Sunday, August 18, 2013

Final Model Photographs!

This model was built at a scale of 1 inch equals 1 foot, which gave me a more-accurate level of precision than the previous 3/4":1' version. I needed to model my modifications—widening the aft deck width by four inches, adding foot room under the seats, and raising the cabin trunk height two inches. Building this one helped me catch and correct errors I made in my dimensions for the transom and lazarette front.


This photograph details how I plan to build my cockpit seats. (I only used stringers as needed to construct this model.)



You should be able to see the difference four inches make in aft cockpit legroom. I will widen both the deck and the hull bottom.



One visual detail of the original design that has bothered my eye for a long time is the "margin" around the cabin portholes. The one shown here is to scale according to the plans, now with the added space above and below it. I figured a couple more inches headroom inside couldn't hurt too much, either. I plan to use clear removable inspection plates for the forward windows.


I believe my plans are now ready for cutting marine plywood and lumber. Stay tuned.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Not my boat; fun anyway

This video has some of the best sailing footage of any I have found so far. I took the liberty of capturing a few frames, cleaning them up in Adobe Lightroom, and adding the watercolor effect in Photoshop. I hope you enjoy the result as much as I do.