Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Just a Quick Update

Except for the seats, all the plywood pieces are cut and ready to assemble. I may go a little out of order from what the plans say, assemble the deck next, for example. I will probably build the fin and skeg from Paul Riccelli's stem/keel/rudder design after that, then the hull bottom and back to the plans from there.

Monday, November 9, 2015

More Pieces to Come Together

I sat down with the November 2015 issue of Outside magazine the other day in a waiting area. One particular article prompted me to go out and buy my own copy. This link, to be specific My imagination has been captured ever since. I've already changed some decisions I had made previously in order to now make Kingsfold's hull stronger, and increase the seating area in the cockpit. Talk about "things that make you go 'hmmm'"!

Those decisions include: eliminating the lazarette/extending the seats all the way to the transom in order to maximize cockpit space, keep space on the cockpit floor for adding some sort of pedal drive, fiberglassing the insides of the hull and transom (while using Xynole on the exterior hull, deck and cockpit), modifying my keel and rudder/tiller per Paul Riccelli's designs, making sure to fillet all the edges/joints of the 1/4" hull side panels, and a couple other things as well.

My plans are gathering dust--saw dust!

Of the several tweaks and modifications I am making to the plans, this is the first one I received the consequences of. Before actually cutting any wood, I put a lot of thought and careful math into adding four inches to the width of the aft end of Kingsfold. What I overlooked in the process, however, was what that would do to fitting the wider hull bottom into the amount of plywood I had to work with. Luckily(?), I had exactly enough! These photos of the front and back ends of the hull bottom side pieces illustrate what I mean.

The Real Deal Keel!

On the videos that I purchased with my copy of the plans, the Stevensons talk about "first-cut fever." That was never a problem for me. "First epoxying" was. Notice the use of the past tense in that last sentence of mine.

My cure for this fever was to purchase the sample kit from System Three, and then cut some pieces of material that represent pretty much all the uses of epoxy in building Kingsfold. Three layers of 3/4" thick boards like the keel, a stringer, and two pieces of plywood to represent the hull bottom and a hull side.

(Side note: the kit includes a formulation for using with metal. I worked out my mixing process--by weight using a scale--with this epoxy to repair a lamp of my daughter's, and boat-related, to coat the welded areas on my mast hinges, since the welding process removed the galvanization.)

So here is my completed keel:

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Here's hoping

to have some new material for this blog in the next month or so...